Hospital Fire Damage
Heavy fire damaged occurred in a Gold Coast hospital, rendering 2 levels, including 10 patient rooms, unsafe and unusable. Due the sensitive nature of hospitals and their critical importance on both hygiene and 24/7 care, quick and thorough response was needed.
New Life Restorations was called to remediate the fire damage to safe levels, so that reconstruction could happen, and rooms could return to use.
Fire/Soot Damage Restoration - Hospital: Mental Health Ward
Cause of damage: Patient set alight bedding linen
2 levels of the mental health unit:
• 10 patient rooms
• 7 Bathrooms
• 7 related staff rooms as well as a stairwell
• Furniture, medical equipment, appliances, beds affected by the fire
• Patients' contents heavily affected
Reading high levels of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) in the air, within the affected damaged areas.
Bringing affected areas to make safe levels to allow for safe access for consultants, contractors, hospital representatives etc, to properly assess extent of damage.
Primary fire affected room
Patients' contents affected
- Initial VOC readings
- Installation of containment barriers, to isolate working areas
- Set up HEPA filtration through out rooms, with a negative air venting and 2x hydroxyl generator installed
- Contents itemising and documenting of recoverable and non-recoverable contents belonging either to the hospital or patients
- Non-recoverable items were documented and disposed. Recoverables were boxed and taken offsite to NLR facility to be remediated, boxed and returned to site
- Pressure clean/scrub/extract hard floor areas
- Fire chemical block wiped ceiling to remove soot in affected areas
- Fire remediation to walls and cupboards - HEPA vacuum, washing and wiping
- Stripped out charred plasterboard and cupboard in initial fire incident room. Vacuumed, wiped and treated studwork
- Set up VOC & particle counts monitoring meter devices where required
- Stairwell area Vacuumed, mopped, treated and deodorised
- Continual changing of HEPA filters throughout the duration of the job
- Double check over all areas for quality assurance
- Final readings, surface sampling to ensure safe levels have been reached.
Patients' rooms remediated
Patients' lounge area cleaned
New Life Restorations was successful in bringing the VOC levels down, creating a safe environment for further contractors to come do their further works. Our completion was signed off and in our report we offered recommendations of works to be carried out by other professions to ensure contamination was removed. If you have any fire remediation queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.